Words of Wisdom & Caution
Please ask for our advice& information if you are planning a self-guided trip with canoes or kayaks hired from us. There will always be a 30-40 minute detailed briefing before you leave us.
- If you are planning a paddling overnight trip / expedition in open canoes or sea kayaks, please remember that these are small craft.
Due to our recent experiences it is clear that clients need to be more aware of the implications of over loading canoes & kayaks. There does need to be some free board – above the waterline – after the boats have been loaded with gear and bodies! Careful consideration needs to be given to the amount of gear to be carried. If we feel that you are intending to overload the boats, then we will advise you to reduce the amount of gear to a reasonable level. Alternatively, we reserve the right to cancel the hire.
- Please remember that if you are undertaking paddling expeditions on the Caledonian Canal or any other of our sea or inland lochs – these are BIG wide expanses of open water – in fact classed as inland seas. Waves can set up to 4 – 6’ high on the inland lochs of Loch Ness & Loch Lochy.
- IF IN DOUBT – STAY PUT! On a daily basis you will need to take consideration of the current weather, the forecast, the competence and experience of your whole party, and the amount of gear you are carrying. Quite often the weather can calm down after a few hours – so take a break. It is better to hunker down for a few hours than have a life changing experience – or worse.
- See our section on “Planning Advice” for guidance on food & water supplies
- Please remember that alcohol and paddling do not mix under any circumstances.
- While some dogs are more than happy to hunker down in an open boat – this is something that we advise against unless the dog in question has done this sort of thing before and is happy – also remember that you will be going into sheep country where sheep roam wild – in any case all dogs must be kept under control at all times.
sea kayak hire for the Great Glen
explore the Great Glen by sea kayak through the Caledonian…
hire a river or touring kayak
paddle some of the best white water rivers in the…
open canoe hire for the Great Glen Canoe Trail
paddle your own way through wild & wonderful landscapes
make your canoeing & kayaking plans
divide your journey into enjoyable paddling “day”s
shuttle service for canoes, kayaks & gear
paddlers do not often finish in the same place!
canoe & kayak guided expeditions
take part in our guided overnight trips or day tours